Landing in Port Vila- I now live in Vanuatu!

I've made it to Vanuatu safe and sound - minus my checked bag, but hey, what can you do.  I'm sure it will get here eventually.  The flights went just fine - on my first flight from Seattle to LA I'm pretty sure I was sitting next to the Australian James Bond.  Clean-cut man wearing cologne and an expensive looking shirt who was very friendly and talkative, interested in learning all about what I'm doing, but when I asked him what he does for a living he paused and then said "security stuff" with a smile.  On my long haul flight to Fiji I also sat next to someone interesting - a German woman who works in Tuvalu as a human rights consultant for the government!  Tuvalu - the country I was dreaming about in high school.  Maybe it's a sign I need to make a visit...got her e-mail just in case.

 It's been a whirlwind of a day since getting to Vanuatu. especially given the fact that I haven't slept in a while.  I've been meeting lots of people, staff and volunteers, at the office - I love it so far.  It sounds like I'm in for an adventurous month (and then year) - during my training I'll spend time on 4 different islands, before moving to my island (Ambae) in about a month!  I'll write another post soon with more details about training and what my actual job will entail, but first - here, for your viewing pleasure, are photos from my landing here in Port Vila (the capital of Vanuatu, on the island of Efate).   The flight from Fiji to Vanuatu was all over blue, island-less ocean until Efate appeared in the distance.  The island started flat, then the landscape rose up into hills and ridges, all deep green.  A river cut across at one point.  And then we landed - the airport is on the edge of town, so everything around it was green too.  I've never experienced anything like this, landing on a green, lush island that appears out of the beautiful blue sea.  It felt like such a special place.  And once I left the airport everything was so calm - the pace of everything, the feel of the city, etc.  No one hassles you, or tries to get you to buy anything.  I know that this island, like all other "tropical paradises", is far from a perfect place and I'll have plenty of frustrations to share.  But so far, I feel very lucky to have this be the setting for this new chapter in my life.  








Comments

  1. Much different than when I landed in Sitka! What a cool experience to see your new home just pop out of the ocean though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Blessed are the Flexible, for they shall Never be Bent out of Shape"

My Life as a Port Vila Volunteer

Musings from a Bench in the Port Vila Post Office