"Go west, young man, go west!"

I guess the saying in my blog post title should read "Go west, young woman/young lady/etc" instead of "young man", but it somehow doesn't have the same ring to it.  Either way, there's something exciting about setting off for the west - such journeys have great precedent.  And in all of my travels overseas, it's been pretty rare that I've headed west across the Pacific - usually everything has been via Europe.  I started my great journey west on Thursday, and spent the past several days in Olympia and Seattle, WA.  First visiting my brother Nathan, then spending time with Peace Corps Benin and Principia College people in Seattle.  I don't really have a core group of friends in a hometown like some people - but instead I have quite the diaspora, "friends in every port."  That's pretty great!  

The Pacific Northwest certainly didn't disappoint.  Where else can you go to the beach, the rainforest, and the mountains for cross country skiing all in one weekend?  Not to mention riding a giant ferris wheel and having a final american lunch of salmon empanadas and triple-berry cheesecake.  A highlight was probably staring out across the Pacific "towards Vanuatu" - roughly - and thinking about how I'd soon spend almost twelve whole hours flying over that ocean.  We certainly have a big, wonderful world. 

I'm posting this using expensive in-flight wifi, as I land in Los Angeles (on my first flight from Seattle).  Now for a mad dash across several terminals to my Fiji flight, on a very tight connection - wish me luck!  When I post my next post I'll be very, very far away.

Me and Nathan looking like we're members of a super cool band.  Thanks self timer!


Vanuatu's out there somewhere!

Nathan exploring an excellent treecosystem, as he called it. 

The last skiing I'll see in a long time

Comments

  1. Wondrous travels and onward to more adventures! Thanks for taking time to do the great posts. Name for the Bethany Nathan rock band... the Betaters :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dynamic duo back together! Hope there were a lot of laughs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

June 15 - Why Peace Corps is Hard

Musings from a Bench in the Port Vila Post Office

My Life as a Port Vila Volunteer