Ambrym Lessons Part 2: "Who's the Lucky Lady?!?"

Ambrym is a beautiful island, and not all of my three weeks there was spent lying around on the floor - I also went swimming in the ocean almost every day.  Another good place to reflect on life.  I'm not dating anyone right now, and while I love the freedom to pack my bags and move to a tropical island in the South Pacific whenever I want sometimes I really feel like I'm ready to find my life partner.  The idea of sharing all these experiences sounds great.  One day on Ambrym I was alone at the beach, standing in the water and thinking about this.  I thought about how many of us have this desire to find a person that will make our lives feel complete, to be able to say "you complete me."  I've been in love in the past, and have dated some wonderful guys, and I do know that it isn't that easy - no matter how great a person is or how much you love them, they never are able to make everything perfect.  Maybe we're thinking about the phrase "you complete me" all wrong, I  thought.  We are always being completed, moment by moment, by many different things.  Every experience we have, everything we see, helps complete us.  At that exact moment, I was being "completed" by the beautiful beach where I was.  So I ran my fingers through the water and thought, "You complete me."  I put on my mask and snorkel and swam, thinking "You complete me" to the fish I saw swim into a tin can.  I floated on my back, looking up at the beautiful blue sky and enjoying the water's support, thinking about how important it is for us to appreciate the beauty of every moment and its role in making us who we are.


Hard not to be inspired on a beach like this


Another related insight I got on Ambrym was about another common phrase: "Who's the lucky lady?!?" or "Who's the lucky guy?!?"  We usually say this when a friend has gotten engaged or started a relationship.  Of course that's exciting, but why not think of using the phrase more often - even in just thinking about ourselves and our lives.  After all, a lucky lady isn't just someone who's found their life partner - they can also be someone who's got a great job, or just bought a plane ticket, or is  enjoying a beautiful sunset, or eating a great ice cream sundae.  I wrote this idea into a poem for my friend Taylor in Alaska.  Taylor had sent out poems that she wrote to several of her friends, including me, months ago, and I'd told her I'd write one in return but never got around to it until my time on Ambrym.  So here's what I came up with:

"Who's the Lucky Lady?"
A Poem for Taylor Ciambra

Who's the lucky lady
With blisters on her toes
Poems in her typewriter
And flour on her clothes?

Who's the lucky lady
Who saw the northern lights
And learned about banana slugs
And read a book last night?

Her life's no fairy tale
It's got far too much rain
And awkwardness and "now what's next?"
And little bits of pain.

No "happily ever after" -
Her story's got no end-
But off she goes in her Xtratuffs
To find the happy around the bend.

Maybe she'll marry a prince one day
No one really knows
But a lady's luck is always born
In the blisters on her toes.



Comments

  1. Love it! reflections, poem and all. We all need to feel freshly blessed each moment, especially when life feels stale. I received inspiration for a few one-line "poems" on a recent WV walk... inspired by people I wanted to honor. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany I love this post! And I love the poem! Wishing you well - letter en route :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

June 15 - Why Peace Corps is Hard

Musings from a Bench in the Port Vila Post Office

"Blessed are the Flexible, for they shall Never be Bent out of Shape"